Monday, May 2, 2016

My Other Big Brother

Steve, my half brother, died suddenly two weeks ago. Since then, I've been trying to write about him. Thanks to my brother Boyce's words today, I am now able to...


We had all just been together when Dad passed away in February. I feel so fortunate that we were with each other for that treasured time.

As you sat across from me, sitting in Dad’s chair, I had to remind myself several times that you weren’t him. You two have always looked so much alike. As you both got older you seemed to favor each other even more. The soft, salt and pepper hair, kind eyes, generous smile, and still such a handsome face.

Like Dad, you had struggles and trials in life, including an unfair start in some ways. But like him, you turned out to be a strong, giving person. And there are so many who are the better for that.

Even when you spoke it was like talking to Dad. Not just in your West Virginia drawl, but also as you told about what was going on in your life, but especially as you lit up like firecrackers sharing about your girls and grandkids, just the same Dad would do when talking about us--full of pride and love.

Thank you, Steve, for giving us that moment when we could all feel together again, all near Dad. It wouldn’t have been the same without your presence.

I wish so much that you could sit among us in that chair again. And if you could, I’d tell you that even though on paper you were my half brother, you sure weren’t “half” anything to us.

You were a whole husband
A completely devoted daddy and poppaw
An entirely-loved son
A totally-awesome brother
An all-in worker
A full of life friend.
And now that you’re gone from this earth, we all wish you the wholeness of peace you deserve, dear man. We love you.











2 comments:

  1. Sabena I had no idea about your brother. I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a great guy.
    You and your family are so good and gracious. I feel lucky to have you as friends. It was so good to see you all last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a gentle spirit with a tender heart. Thank you for your words. We so LOVED seeing you guys too--and look forward to spending time together again soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete